During the last 9 months and then some, being pregnant and all, there were many meals that were eaten out or taken away due to cravings and good old laziness. I’m not a fan of new year’s resolutions but I’ve promised myself to be more intentional with my meals at home this year especially after the arrival of our little one who will soon get on solids in just a couple of months. We recently upgraded our options at home with the touchscreen Vitamix Ascent A3500! As you can imagine, those mornings that I can have a breakfast, I need it to be easily accessible and quick. Today, I’m sharing my recipe for homemade almond milk that can be used for cereal, smoothies, or even my current obsession: overnight chia seed pudding.
Keep in mind that homemade almond milk only lasts a few days in the fridge, so make just what you think you will consume in the next few days. Since the recipe itself is super easy, you can always make more batches when you need it.
Homemade Almond Milk
[ Ingredients ]
1 cup raw almonds
2 cups water
Nut bag or cheese cloth
Optional – Sweeteners: honey, sugar, maple syrup
[ Instructions ]
1. Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with an inch of water and soak overnight or in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
2. Drain almonds, and toss the water that the almonds were soaked in. Rinse almonds with cool water.
3. Combine the almonds and 2 cups of water in Vitamix until very fine and the water has turned white.
4. Line the strainer with nut bag or cheese cloth, and pour the mixture into the strainer in bowl or measuring cup.
5. Gather the nut bag or cheese cloth and squeeze to extract as milk as possible.
6. Taste the almond milk, and if you like your milk sweeter add a sweetener mentioned above.
Refrigerate and enjoy up to 2 days!
*For chia pudding, take 3 tbsp whole chia seeds, 1 cup almond milk (and 1 tbsp of sweetener if desired) and rest in fridge overnight*
*Please note: Vitamix has been gifted but recipes are all of my own*